Damn, that doesn’t sound very long, does it? Luckily I’ve made remarkable progress on the nursery over the past two weeks. To be specific: It is REMARKABLE how LITTLE progress I have made, given the time allotted.
Although I was off to a pretty good start when I came home one day to discover that Chris had pulled up the carpet.
And he was all like, “Ok boss, what’s the next step?” And I was all like, “This.”
“This” used to be the heat register for this room, until we re-routed things in order to remodel the kitchen. Now the heat register is on the other end of this room, in the wall, where heat registers belong. And “this” is a boarded-up hole in the floor with an ugly grate over it. Now would seem like the time to patch up the floor and seal it up for good, right?
And there was Chris, all but volunteering to do it for me. So maybe I could come home one day and find the floor completely ready for sanding and refinishing, possibly without having to lift a finger.
But I told him, “No, let me do it. There might be a hardwood-floor-patching tutorial for the blog in there somewhere. I’ll work on it tomorrow.”
And “tomorrow” came, and I started thinking about how much extra work it would be to patch in the hardwood floor. First I’d have to patch in the subfloor to get everything to the right level, and given that our house was built before the days of standard-sized dimensional lumber, that seemed like a precise (and therefore insurmountable) task. So I decided to give myself some time to figure that out, and to start working on it tomorrow.
So “tomorrow” came, and I still hadn’t figured out the subfloor patching dilemma. And then I thought of another dilemma: once I got the subfloor up to the right level, I’d have to find wood flooring that actually matched the dimensions of the wood floors we have. Again I ran into the They-Don’t-Make-That-Stuff-Like-They-Used-To problem. So I would have to either find somewhere else in the house to poach from (there aren’t any) or spend half a lifetime sifting through the “floors and millwork” section at a salvage yard, hoping to find enough bits and pieces of old floor that matched mine. Or, third option: Buy a bunch of oak and make my own custom planks.
I decided to think about it for a little while longer, and start working on it tomorrow.
And “tomorrow” came, and I still hadn’t figured out the wood floor patching dilemma. And continuing to think about it seemed like an awful lot of work. So I decided to give myself tomorrow off from thinking about it and start working on it the day after tomorrow. Because sometimes if you ignore things long enough, they go away. Like that time I spent 3 weeks talking about ripping up the carpet in the nursery, and then one day, I came home and it was magically done.
Which is how this post started. And now that we’ve come full circle, allow me to show you how I fixed the hole in the hardwood floor:
Now the floor is completely ready for sanding and refinishing, and the only finger I had to lift was the one that pushed the trigger on the spray paint can.
And it only took me a week to do it. Now all that’s left to do in the nursery is this:
- Sand and refinish the floors
- Customize and install new casings and baseboards
- Reglaze the windows
- Strip and repaint the doors
- Make a chandelier
- Reupholster a chair and ottoman
- Make curtains
- Make a dresser/changing table
The next 79 days should be a breeze.